Monday, April 11, 2011

Pow Wow at Wash U + Liv's Volleyball = BUSY WEEKEND!!

This past week I was busy with sewing a new outfit for my son Dominick's hoop dancing.  So, I spent late nights working on his outfit getting it all ready for his invitation to dance at a Pow Wow at Washington University in St. Louis.

Nick loves his outfit I made him...  I think this is one of the best one's I have made...  happy with how it came out!

We invited my sister in law Sarah and her family & my mother in law Joan to come out to the Pow Wow.  So they arrived on Saturday... in the mist of our chaos as we were getting everyone situated to go to the Pow Wow.  Trying to get all our stuff in the car, and making sure we had everything we needed... 

We also had extra people going with us... So having to organize rides and everything, had drawn me almost over the edge, when my Kiera forgetting her scarf for her dress...  She is a jingle dress dancer and needs that part of her regalia.  So having to return back to the house.  We finally found her scarf and we were finally on our way... 

We had a carpool of 3 cars headed to the University, and the address we had was incorrect...  So all of us drove around a address with no appearance of a pow wow going on...  So, with my memory of where they had the pow wow last year.  I was able to get us there.  When we get there the parking garage was totally packed... with no available parking.  I dropped my kids off on the roof of the parking lot which entered the Field House.  I then had to drive back down the parking garage and there was a lower level parking area, that people must have not seen... which it had about 10 empty spaces... which we all were able to park in.

But to my disadvantage, I am still on crutches & brace, so I had to crutch my way up the stairs over 4 levels of parking...  with very humid and temp in the high 80's.  So it was not fun! 

We get inside the pow wow, and we had arrived late.  We had wanted to be there in time for the Grand Entry.  But we were just happy we got there in time to get Kiera registed for a dance competition.  And Dominick and Matthew ready to dance their hoop dance.

So, everyone including Dominicks friend Justin and Olivia's friend Jessie and her mom.  Which all of them have never been to a pow wow...  we introduced them to what was going on and they all seemed to have a great time...  My inlaw's all were impressed with all the dancers and excitement of what was going on around them.  My brother in law was taking pics of the kids as they danced.  I was excited that he got some awesome pics that I will post later.  He downloaded them on a disc but having problems reading it on my laptop. 


Dominick and Matt Baker....  I have pretty much adopted Matt as my son, he is from the Ohlone Tribe from California he is living with his Grandparents here in Fenton.  And goes to our church, and has not been exposed to his culture, so me and Nick have taken him in as part of our family.  Teaching him the Hoop Dance has  given him a sense of culture and he has learned the responsiblity of caring for his hoops and the sacredness that goes along with being a hoop dancer.  His grandma made him his first hoop dance regalia.  He is lucky to have supportive grandparents. 

My Kiera wearing her sister Liv's Jingle Dress... Liv has been busy teaching Kiera how to dance. 

Kiera in the Tiny Tot dance...  she did a great job for her first time.

We got Justin out there to do a couple of intertribal dances.

Nick and the attendance lady from there school.... 

Grandma Joan is so proud of Dominick.

Matt Baker, Justin Mattingly, Dominick

Sarah, Mom, Chris and Kiera.

Dominick trapping Sammy and Kiera in his hoops.

Nick Sam and Kiera :)

St. Peters Volleyball Tournment


We had to miss church to go to Olivia's volleyball tournament.  Me and Liv got up early and headed over to St. Peters about 35 min drive, and as we got there they only had 7 players.  But enough to play with one alternate player.  

Grandma and Liv.

Had to take another pic with her other grandchildren... She is a awesome grandma!

Chris and my inlaws showed up later on as these tournaments are a all day event.  So, they arrived in time to watch a game or two.  And we all got to visit in the foyer of the facility.  Took pics and they had to get back on the road to Kansas City to take mom home.  And then Sarah and her family had to get back to New Virginia Iowa. 
All of us visiting and eating snacks.

Having a great time visiting... need more days like this!
The Missouri Thunder girls made it into the Silver Championships and placed 2nd.  They did awesome for missing some players.  They had to play different positions and it took them a couple of games to get use to what they had to get done.  But they did a great job!  
Team Mom(well she thinks she is... LOL! Gonna fight her for the title), Coach Jeanette, Coach Chelsea.

2nd Place winners in Silver bracket.

Kelly and Liv they are both awesome players!

1 comment:

  1. It was a great fun weekend! I really enjoyed every minute! I have such talented grandchildren and my kids aren't too bad either! Love to all

    ReplyDelete