Monday, July 11, 2011

In a blink of an eye things change....

In a blink of an eye things change....  some for good, some for a reason that we just don't understand at the time, and most of the time its to help us with our faith in the Lord. 

My blink of an eye was July 3rd, 2011 early in the morning around 5a.m. changed my life...  my oldest son Jeremie was out with friends and they were driving a friend home. They departed New Braunfels Tx. heading back to Seguin.  3 friends in a SUV, Jeremie was sleeping on passenger side of the car, another friend Chris asleep in back seat.  Nolen a young man who just turned 18 yrs old was driving. 

Nolen had fallen asleep, and drove off the road and crossed over traffic and hit an embankment and the vehicle flew into the air and landed upside down on the roof of the car, landing on a cement culvert/ditch.  They had flown so far off the road that they weren't visible from the highway. 

Jeremie told me that his friend in the back seat had pulled himself out of the vehicle with great difficulty and crawled to go get help.  Jeremie said he was pinned in the vehicle with his neck stuck on the headrest of the seat, and the roof of the car.  He said he could hear cars passing by, and wondered why no one would stop.  He tried to call for Nolen but there was no answer.

Around 5:49 a.m. a woman named Linda arrived on the scene and she could hear Jeremie inside... but wasn't able to get to him.  Jeremie gave her my phone number and she immediately tried to call me.   She continued to stay with him till the ambulance and Air Life chopper came to get him. 

This lady called and called my cell phone, and I was unable to hear it because I had it on vibrate on the dresser.  At 8 a.m.  I awoke to hearing my phone vibrate.  I answered it and Linda was on the other end.  She told me all that she knew about the accident.  I then called my husband Christopher who was at the time working at Ft. Hood Tx.  So, he immediately checked out of his hotel and drove down to San Antonio. 

I was able to get some information from the New Braunfels Police.  I found out my son was at University Hospital.  Got a hold of the trama unit, and they wouldn't release any information over the phone.  All they gave me was they had a Unknown, Adame that fit Jeremie's description.  And he was listed in critical condition. 

Christopher arrived around noon to the hospital... and by this time I was on the road with all my kids.  Driving down from St. Louis to go be with Jeremie.  So, Christopher calls me and tells me that I need to pull the car over to the side of the road...  I refused to do that, but he begged me to.  So I did... and he proceded to tell me Jeremie's condition...  Telling me that Jeremie had a really bad spinal cord injury to his neck and that his neck was broken and they had to relieve the stress on the spinal cord.  The neurosurgeon told Christopher that Jeremie's condition was a possible severed spinal cord, with what the MRI showed...  and proceded to say with this type of injury he would never walk again.  I heard this news... and was heart broken, my worst fear.  I immediately had thoughts of my son running and playin football and all the wondeful things he did prior to this...  my kids heard the conversation and knew by the tears flowing from my eyes that this was really bad.  I got my kids together and we just prayed...  I then knew I had to get myself back together so I could get us safely there.  Christopher told me that they were going to do emergency surgery on his neck to fuse the spine together.  And find out how badly the spinal cord was.

I can't remember how much later, Chris called me and said Jeremie is getting ready to go in for surgery and wanted to talk to me...  Jeremie gets on the phone and he says " I love you mom, and I need you here." and he says "I'm gonna be okay Mom".  I told him I would be there as soon as I could... Then told him how much I loved and needed him in my life...and I was on my way.  (short conversation with him and he was into surgery).

We continued to drive, and we arrived around 2 a.m.   Met Chris at a hotel just blocks from the hospital.  We had called several of our old friends from our Seguin Ward.  And they had paid for 2 nights for us at the Marriot Hotel.  Which was nice for us to be so close to hospital.  We dropped off the kids and me and Chris went to the hospital. 

I walked into my sons room which was filled with machines and all sorts of plastic tubes.  I gave him a big hug and kissed him and held his hands.  He woke up and said with just the motion of his lips. "I love you".  And was back into a sedated sleep.  He was on a ventilator to help him breath.  So, I stayed at the hospital with him.  Chris had headed back to hotel bc he was really tired.  I was tired but didn't want to be anywhere else but right there by his side.  I stayed there till morning.  The had to do other test and xrays on him so I headed back to the hotel.  And got a couple hours sleep and we headed back to hospital. 

This is a beginning to our recovery from an blink of a eye....  just so glad of the faith and the power of prayer.  And for being able to call on my Lord for comfort.  I feel the strength each day of all the prayers that are being said on our behalf.  We have a long road ahead of us.... and only thru our faith we will make it.


http://kgnb.am/news/1-dead-2-injured-wild-rollover-crash-hwy-46-south-sunday#comment-3356

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Nolen-Vargas&lc=4188&pid=152388795&mid=4730931&locale=en_US

2 comments:

  1. Seven years ago, my 15 year old granddaughter was badly hurt by a drunk driver. She too was taken by Life Flight to University Hospital in San Antonio. The personal on the flight and the doctors at the hospital did not think she would survive. When we arrived, there were 15 doctors assigned to her case. She had 8 surgeries in 3 years to help correct the damage. Here we are 7 years later and she will graduate (with honors) from SHSU in December .. thanks to the wonderful doctors and staff at the University Hospital. Your son could NOT be in a more caring place .. the doctors and hospital staff are the best. I will keep Jeremie ... and his friends ... in my prayers as your friend Anna prayed for my Kayle girl. The good Lord will know who Jeremie is today and what he is about, I promise you!! God bless you and bring your heart peace. Paula Adams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Odie, it's been so long now since I've talked to you. I had made the choice to distance myself from Facebook so I just now saw your story of what's happened. Goodness, I'm so sorry that happened to Jeremie! But he seems like such a strong person that I know he will get through this, especially since he has such a wonderful and supportive family behind him.
    He's a great kid and he's blessed to have you there beside him through all this.
    Miss ya and love ya, sending healing thoughts, hugs, and prayers ya'll's way!

    ReplyDelete